Skip to main content

#8 Seattle-Part 3 (The Master at work, more eating and Lakeview cemetery)

This a blog about trying new things. Reaching beyond my comfort zone, exploring and making the most of life. My goal is to try 52 new things. One per week for a year.

After our wonderful day at the market and the museum we went back to our hotel to rest. Our last night in Seattle we headed to a suburb called Northgate. Joel had made arrangements to give a seminar at MKG www.mkgseattle.com where Bahala Na Escrima has a growing and loyal following. So...for those of you who don't know yet, my husband Joel is also known as Master Joel Juanitas.  He is a Master in the Bahala Na Filipino Martial Arts Association www.bahalana.org that teaches Giron Escrima Arnis. Escrima is a Filipino weapon-based fighting system utilizing the stick, knife or improvised weapon. It is his passion and he trains students every week. He has been a practitioner since he was in high school. Only two blocks away from where Joel grew up lived an Escrima Grand Master, Leo Giron (our son's namesake). Leo was a decorated World War II Army veteran. He was taught Escrima by his elders, but for years the training was always done in secret. In 1968 he started his first club in Tracy, Ca.  Joel and his friends would go over to Manong (uncle) Leo's house in Stockton, Ca and train in his basement or his backyard depending on the season. Joel graduated from the Giron System in 1994 and soon became a Guro (instructor). Grand Master Leo passed away in 2003 leaving the title of Grand Master to Tony Somera who in turn promoted Kirk McCune and Joel to Masters in 2007. Words cannot describe the pride I have for my husband. He is dedicated to sharing Escrima to anyone who shows interest and respect for it. It gives him a strong connection to his Filipino heritage. Bahala Na has students all over the world, Germany, Spain, England, Norway and Italy. In the United States Joel has traveled to New York, El Paso, Houston, Phoenix and now Seattle to share his knowledge of Escrima.
Once we arrived at MKG Joel did a one hour private lesson for a handful of students who came early. Then the seminar started with about 16 students attending. It lasted for about 2 hours. I took video of his instructions and pictures of everyone training as well as a group photo. Joel is very humble about this. But let me tell you, he is excellent at his craft. He is not in it for the money (there is none), the trophies (he's already won a bunch), the sport (tournaments: been there done that) or the adoration (well maybe from me *wink-wink*).
After the training that night some of the students took us to a restaurant in the Queen Anne district of Seattle called the 5 Spot. The food was good ole savory comfort style. I had beef brisket with mashed potatoes, gravy and onion strips on top. We had a great time at dinner. Laughing, sharing stories and getting to know one another better. Everyone at the table agreed that they were going to do their best to come to Stockton for the BNMAA Affiliate Camp in April. I whole-heartedly believe them and look forward to it!
The next morning we slept in and decided to make one last tourist stop. We went to the Lakeview Cemetery to visit the grave sites of Bruce and Brandon Lee. The sun had come up that morning and the neighborhood where the cemetery is located was beautiful. We paid our respects and then walked to a small public sitting area across the street and took in the gorgeous view. We hopped on the bus again, the driver had told us that the bus would take us back to the hotel. What he didn't tell us is that we were taking the long way around. Luckily he had taken us back through the shopping district and we decided that this would be a good place to grab a bite. I felt like having a burger so we walked around a bit and found the Tap House Grill www.taphousegrill.com. It had 160 different types of beer on tap. I had a BBQ bacon cheeseburger with fries and it was exactly what I wanted. The fries were just right! We headed back to the hotel, got our bags then headed to the airport. I could have stayed another day or two in Seattle, there was more than I wanted to do but we were out of time. Joel and I both agreed that we were definitely coming back and next time we would bring the kids. Thanks to Jenni and Catherine for getting us to and from the airport, you have a beautiful city.

Comments

Clara said…
Seattle looks like a great place to visit, and someday I will visit the city of coffee. You didn't mention any coffee places......that would probably the first place I would visit. Yes, Joel is very humble and a great master he is. I totally support his passion of the Filipino martial arts, eskrima. He is the one who is going to make this art a respectable one and just the way Leo Giron would have wanted it. The Filipino American Heritage Association can not thank you enough for your generous donation. We look forward to working with you through the years to promote the Filipino heritage.

I love the pictures you took on your trip. I can just smell the fresh air after the rain. I also can imagine myself sipping, enjoying the fresh aroma of Seattle's best coffee right after the rain somewhere at a street front coffee house.

I am glad you and Joel had a great time and thank you so much for taking us for a Seattle tour through your vacation story.
Hi Clara, thanks for reading the blog. I am so glad you enjoyed it. Hopefully you were able to read parts 1 & 2 of Seattle as well.

Actually, next weeks blog is ALL ABOUT my coffee experience in Seattle. It was my first cup of coffee ever at the original Starbucks at Pike Place Market.

It is our pleasure to be involved with FAHA. I am glad that you and Robert put it all together and look forward to seeing it grow and flourish.
Hi Jennifer!

What a nice last post on your and Master Joel's trip to Seattle. Yes, I learned a lot at the seminar and am still learning as Czar and Jenni continue to pass on what they learned to us.

I'm glad you got to see the Bruce and Brandon Lee grave sites.
Michelle, I am so glad you enjoyed the seminar. I really hope that you will come to the the next BNMAA Affiliate Camp in April. Everyone that goes, gets so much out of it! Bahala Na!

Popular posts from this blog

#2-Korean Restaurant

This a blog about trying new things. Reaching beyond my comfort zone, exploring and making the most of life. My goal is to try 52 new things. One per week for a year. When I told my husband Joel that I was starting a blog about trying new things, the first suggestion he had was "you should try new types of food".  Of course... he would say that. I do not like trying new foods. Let me repeat that: I do not like trying new foods. Ask anyone who really knows me. I go to the same restaurants and eat the same things, over and over. My husband, on the other hand, will eat anything. No, really, I mean ANYTHING. He always says, "if I went on Survivor I would be the only contestant to gain weight". It has always mildly annoyed him that I am not more adventurous when it comes to food. Luckily, I have other positive traits that help him get over it. He suggested Korean and Indian. Our friends and family have been talking about a new Korean restaurant that recently opened.

#5 Body Wrap

This a blog about trying new things. Reaching beyond my comfort zone, exploring and making the most of life. My goal is to try 52 new things. One per week for a year. A few months ago I was at the gym. Upon entering there was a table with two young women sitting there promoting a spa package deal. I bought it, $60 for 5 different treatments including a "spot" body wrap. It also included a one hour message, facial and acupressure. My second trip to the spa I decided to do the body wrap. The only wrap I had heard about, besides the one you eat, was being wrapped up like a mummy then covered in cellophane wrap as you proceed to sit in a sauna a sweat off the pounds. That's called a compression wrap. I did not get one of those. What I got was a lot different. Vicky took me into a room with a massage table. She asked me where I would like the spot wrap done. I said "my muffin top, my stomach". She said, "that's what most ladies get done". She to

#13-Medifast: Part 2

Continued... After ordering my Medifast food and a few days before it arrived I ate all my favorite foods. Kind of a binge good-bye to my dear friends...til we meet again. I had spent the day before my food arrived researching and reading anything I could find about Medifast including opinions on the food taste. Of course, everyone had an opinion and they were all different. Which means just about everything was sounding bad. I received my box of Medifast food August 31st. I opened it up and looked at my months worth of meals. It also came with some literature for me to read. Most of the meals are in powdered packets. Oatmeal, pudding, soup, brownies, soft serve ice cream, eggs, pancakes, shakes. They also have bars, puffs and pretzels. Annie shouts "I want a granola bar!" I wave my hands over the pile of food now spread out on the table..."this is all for mommy, ok?" Then I proceed to give her an apple for a snack. Inside I start to panic just a little but wonder