Skip to main content

Day 14: I LOVE Saving Money!

Since I LOVE saving money, I thought it was appropriate on Valentines Day to share some more ways we have found to do just that!!!

1) Always, always, always ask for a better deal. Open the door for negotiation. You might be surprised! Just about everything is negotiable. We have had the same CPA do our taxes every year for that past 10 years. I used to pay $250. Last year, I told him that things were tight and asked if he would be willing to reduce our fee. And since we don't have as many write offs its less paperwork for him. He agreed and reduced our fee to $175. 

2) Cut and or color your own hair.  Over the summer months we bought a clipper and I would shave Joel's head. It was easy! But, I am not brave enough to cut or color my own hair. I know a lot of ladies that do. BUT, you can refer back to Item #1 above on this... I told my hairdresser and friend of over 12  years that I might have to go to the beauty school next time to afford getting my hair cut and colored. NO, she insisted. She cut my costs by $50 including tip. She just gave me a flat fee. And also, I just do not go as often. I used to go every 3-4 months. It's been 6 months since I've gotten it done. Plus she gives me free lip waxes in between visits. I just give her a small tip. I am so glad I can continue to see her and save money!

3) Don't throw out clothes and shoes that can be repaired or altered. Even if you hate sewing (like I do) ask around, see if there is anyone you can find that will do it for a small cost. If you are really lucky you have family that sews.A lot of times dry cleaners offer a repair and alterations person on site as well. Also check out your local shoe repair shop. You'd be surprised what they can do to an old pair of high heels or boots.

4) Lose weight. Yes, I said it. For those who are overweight, getting rid of the extra pounds won't only make you feel better and increase your life expectancy, you will save money on healthcare costs and possibly your life insurance. It's a fact, as your BMI increases so does your risk of high blood pressure, Type 2 diabetes, heart disease, certain types of cancers, stroke, liver and gallbladder disease, sleep apnea, respiratory disease, etc. It is not an easy endeavor (believe me, I know) but its worth it!

5) Stop eating out. Or at the very least cut back to a bare minimum. An amazing thing happens to people who stop eating out, they usually lose weight (see Item #4 above). I challenge you to actually look back on your last months bank account and see how much you spent eating out. If you absolutely must eat out, try to share meals since portion sizes are so huge. Order an appetizer, a side salad or soup as your main course. And use a coupon or sign up for their rewards program! These places are fighting for your business. Let them give you a reward!

6) Increase your auto and home insurance deductible. Instead of a $100 or $250 deductible increase it to $500 or $1000. This will save you money on your premium, up to 15%. All you have to do is call your insurance company. And while you have them on the phone take a minute to review your policy to make sure you are getting all the discounts available to you. Then, make sure you have $1000 in your emergency fund, just in case.

7) Downsize your home. I know this is not an easy one. But, it may be something to seriously consider. Besides lowering your monthly mortgage or rent you will also be decreasing your utility costs. And you might want to consider moving closer to you work. You will save gas and decrease your insurance. Not to mention less time on the road, more time for the things you enjoy. I am very happy that we downsized, I feel we are closer as a family and it's easier to clean. Plus you can have a garage sale and make some money on all the things that you no longer need since they won't fit in the smaller home.

8) Stop buying expensive make up. This was a hard one for me. I used to get all Clinique products. Buying drug store make up was jarring at first because Clinique is fragrance free. When I went back to drug store products the smells were so strange. And it meant finding and matching colors and products that I like. The thought of it overwhelmed me and I kept putting it off. But I save SO MUCH money compared to before! One of the great things about certain drug stores is they have a liberal return policy on make up. If you don't like it once you try it on, return it. Plus, there are deals galore and coupons too!

9) Barter. Like in the old timey days. Exchange a product or service instead of money. For example: my darling daughter Annie really enjoys going to our  local kids theater. She did a young kids class with a small one time show when she was 5. She has been begging me to go back. So I emailed the owner told her how much my daughter loves it there and was there any way possible to work off the costs of the class. I could clean, organize, paint, whatever. She said she would split the difference. So, I paid half and she has has provided a few projects for me to help with while Annie attends her once a week acting class for an hour. Remember, always, always, ask!

10) Get crafty! I am not very crafty. But a lot of people are and they find amazing things on Pinterest and recreate them beautifully at minimal cost. Re purposing items is really hot right now. You can re-purpose clothes, furniture, wine bottles, etc. It saves money and helps the environment. For Valentine's Day my daughter Annie and I made all the Valentines for her class. I had some craft paper left over from some school project last year. I cut them out into heart shapes and she drew a picture and wrote inside the card. She drew a picture of our dog, Chop and wrote a bubble over his head saying I RUV YOU! We also made peanut butter cookies for her class party (I made sure that no one has peanut allergies first). Her cards are unique, beautiful and made with love!

I hope these ideas help with your money saving endeavors. More to come....


Comments

Rochelle said…
I gave up personal stylists in favor of a local beauty school. I go there for hair styling/hair color. I do treat myself to a pedicure about once a month at a spa that I really like. The owner has cut the price she charges me because I frequently bring her new business. I barter frequently and enjoy saving money that way too. I try to pre-plan my shopping trips to only purchase items on sale (when possible). I enjoy lunches out during the work day but have stopped the practice of take out foods for dinner in favor of home-cooked meals every night.
You are an inspiration Rochelle! I love that you use the money you save to travel! That is awesome! We have not eaten dinner out once this month! Thanks for sharing :-)

Popular posts from this blog

#2-Korean Restaurant

This a blog about trying new things. Reaching beyond my comfort zone, exploring and making the most of life. My goal is to try 52 new things. One per week for a year. When I told my husband Joel that I was starting a blog about trying new things, the first suggestion he had was "you should try new types of food".  Of course... he would say that. I do not like trying new foods. Let me repeat that: I do not like trying new foods. Ask anyone who really knows me. I go to the same restaurants and eat the same things, over and over. My husband, on the other hand, will eat anything. No, really, I mean ANYTHING. He always says, "if I went on Survivor I would be the only contestant to gain weight". It has always mildly annoyed him that I am not more adventurous when it comes to food. Luckily, I have other positive traits that help him get over it. He suggested Korean and Indian. Our friends and family have been talking about a new Korean restaurant that recently opened.

#5 Body Wrap

This a blog about trying new things. Reaching beyond my comfort zone, exploring and making the most of life. My goal is to try 52 new things. One per week for a year. A few months ago I was at the gym. Upon entering there was a table with two young women sitting there promoting a spa package deal. I bought it, $60 for 5 different treatments including a "spot" body wrap. It also included a one hour message, facial and acupressure. My second trip to the spa I decided to do the body wrap. The only wrap I had heard about, besides the one you eat, was being wrapped up like a mummy then covered in cellophane wrap as you proceed to sit in a sauna a sweat off the pounds. That's called a compression wrap. I did not get one of those. What I got was a lot different. Vicky took me into a room with a massage table. She asked me where I would like the spot wrap done. I said "my muffin top, my stomach". She said, "that's what most ladies get done". She to

#13-Medifast: Part 2

Continued... After ordering my Medifast food and a few days before it arrived I ate all my favorite foods. Kind of a binge good-bye to my dear friends...til we meet again. I had spent the day before my food arrived researching and reading anything I could find about Medifast including opinions on the food taste. Of course, everyone had an opinion and they were all different. Which means just about everything was sounding bad. I received my box of Medifast food August 31st. I opened it up and looked at my months worth of meals. It also came with some literature for me to read. Most of the meals are in powdered packets. Oatmeal, pudding, soup, brownies, soft serve ice cream, eggs, pancakes, shakes. They also have bars, puffs and pretzels. Annie shouts "I want a granola bar!" I wave my hands over the pile of food now spread out on the table..."this is all for mommy, ok?" Then I proceed to give her an apple for a snack. Inside I start to panic just a little but wonder