Skip to main content

DAY 22: More money saving ideas!

More money saving ideas:

1) Track your spending. I have mentioned this before but, it bears repeating. I prefer the using Mint.com. Besides tracking your spending from your checking and savings accounts. You can link your 401k, credit card debt, auto loans and even your assets. It was a great tool for staying within my budget this month.

2) Re-think vacations. There is a reason stay-cations are popular. They cost less. And luckily we live in California! There is so much to see and do here. Also compare the cost of driving versus flying. If you can stand being in the car 8-10 hours to get to your destination it might be worth driving instead. Especially if you are taking your family. Also look into websites that compare travel prices such as Kayak.com. I also frequent Hotels.com and Southwest Airlines. They both have rewards programs.

3) Speaking of rewards... Sign up for them. Whether it's for restaurants, hotels, pharmacies or clothing stores. Loyalty is what these businesses are looking for. They know that it's easier (and less expensive in terms of marketing dollars) to keep a loyal customer than it is to try and get a new one. Plus a lot of restaurants will not only give you discounts they will give you a free-bee on your birthday.

4) Don't pay for storage. One of the first things I got rid of when it was time to start scaling back the budget was storage. It was very depressing to be spending money on stuff that we weren't even using. It was liberating to sell it and give most of it away. Why are we so obsessed with stuff?

5) Eat your leftovers! I love leftovers but apparently not everyone does. I encourage you to try and eat them for lunch. This will stretch your grocery budget and limit waste. Some things taste better once the seasoning and spices have had more time to blend. Like spaghetti or (Portagee) beans.

6) Grow a garden. This is something I really want to do this spring/summer. I did one two years ago, a total experiment and I didn't get much yield as I had hoped but it was fun. My daughter really enjoys it too. Plus all the yummy, healthy food that you produced yourself!

7) Take advantage of employer benefits and discounts. Some employers offering discounts for gym memberships, legal services and even theme parks. Also review your benefits to be sure you are aware of everything that is offered. Especially if you have been with company an extended amount of time or your family situation has changed. Just check with your Human Resources Department.

8) Shop used or deep discounts. Just the other day I was with my husband at a seminar. The owner of the business was showing us this beautiful oak top table. He said his mom found it at a thrift store for $20 plus her senior discount. He said, he painted the legs and voila'. Thrift stores are great because not only can you find awesome deals, you are helping a non-profit organization. If you are a regular at a store, you will know when they have the deep discounts. If you are not sure sign up for their email. At one of my favorite stores, I only shop twice a year when they have their clearance sale. Plus since I am signed up for their emails they send me a coupon to use during that time as well. It takes some patience and a little extra leg work but you will be rewarded!

9) I have mentioned saving money on your hair but I failed to mention your nails! There was a time that I used to get acrylic nails every two weeks. After I stopped that, I used to love getting pedicures. I would get one maybe once a month. Now, I give myself mani/pedis.I have a foot bath and all the tools. I will probably get a pedicure to get me ready for summer but I am going to try and do it once or twice a year only from now on.

Happy Saving :-)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#2-Korean Restaurant

This a blog about trying new things. Reaching beyond my comfort zone, exploring and making the most of life. My goal is to try 52 new things. One per week for a year. When I told my husband Joel that I was starting a blog about trying new things, the first suggestion he had was "you should try new types of food".  Of course... he would say that. I do not like trying new foods. Let me repeat that: I do not like trying new foods. Ask anyone who really knows me. I go to the same restaurants and eat the same things, over and over. My husband, on the other hand, will eat anything. No, really, I mean ANYTHING. He always says, "if I went on Survivor I would be the only contestant to gain weight". It has always mildly annoyed him that I am not more adventurous when it comes to food. Luckily, I have other positive traits that help him get over it. He suggested Korean and Indian. Our friends and family have been talking about a new Korean restaurant that recently opened.

#5 Body Wrap

This a blog about trying new things. Reaching beyond my comfort zone, exploring and making the most of life. My goal is to try 52 new things. One per week for a year. A few months ago I was at the gym. Upon entering there was a table with two young women sitting there promoting a spa package deal. I bought it, $60 for 5 different treatments including a "spot" body wrap. It also included a one hour message, facial and acupressure. My second trip to the spa I decided to do the body wrap. The only wrap I had heard about, besides the one you eat, was being wrapped up like a mummy then covered in cellophane wrap as you proceed to sit in a sauna a sweat off the pounds. That's called a compression wrap. I did not get one of those. What I got was a lot different. Vicky took me into a room with a massage table. She asked me where I would like the spot wrap done. I said "my muffin top, my stomach". She said, "that's what most ladies get done". She to

#8 Seattle-Part 3 (The Master at work, more eating and Lakeview cemetery)

This a blog about trying new things. Reaching beyond my comfort zone, exploring and making the most of life. My goal is to try 52 new things. One per week for a year. After our wonderful day at the market and the museum we went back to our hotel to rest. Our last night in Seattle we headed to a suburb called Northgate. Joel had made arrangements to give a seminar at MKG www. mkgseattle .com where Bahala Na Escrima has a growing and loyal following. So...for those of you who don't know yet, my husband Joel is also known as Master Joel Juanitas.  He is a Master in the Bahala Na Filipino Martial Arts Association www.bahalana.org that teaches Giron Escrima Arnis. Escrima is a Filipino weapon-based fighting system utilizing the stick, knife or improvised weapon. It is his passion and he trains students every week. He has been a practitioner since he was in high school. Only two blocks away from where Joel grew up lived an Escrima Grand Master, Leo Giron (our son's namesake). L