Skip to main content

DAY 4: How did this happen?~Part 1

Update on the February Spending Freeze:

Today I have not spent a penny. The End......

~LOL~

No real challenges today. So I thought I would write about how we got to this point. And explain why we are doing a spending freeze. I have gone back and forth about discussing this because it's kind of personal. Our failures and even our successes with money and finances can be a touchy subject. But, I figure there are a lot of people out there going through some of the same things that we are and they could probably relate to our story.
When Joel and I got married we were both working and doing ok. We paid cash for our wedding/vowel renewal which cost about $12,000. Not counting the things our family contributed such as the church, the DJ and the Tahitian dancers( yea we had an awesome reception!). I was determined not to go into debt for a one day party for 200 people. Its the marriage that is the important thing not so much the wedding. I was very ambitious at this time of my life. I had just gotten a good job and I knew there was potential to make good money. I started out making about $30k per year and when I left 5 years later I had doubled that and was making $60k. Not counting the spiff money, electronics and trips that I won. Including a trip to New Orleans and Chicago. During this time we paid off both our cars. I cleaned up my credit and we bought our first house. But I was totally stressed out. Besides a wedding and a new home we had a new baby, Leo. And of course with a new baby comes sleep deprivation. But, the topper was my oldest son Craig was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes. Also known as Juvenile Diabetes. Unlike Type 2 Diabetes that can be controlled with pills, diet and exercise, Type 1 is a life sentence where he will have to take Insulin shots daily to stay alive. We had no idea he had it, had no idea what the signs were and he ended up in ICU for a few days when his body started shutting down. I was overwhelmed with guilt. Looking back I can see that I was kind of a mess. I had horrible acne, my hair was falling out, I had a semi-permanent twitch in my eye. I was overweight. I ended up in the hospital with a panic/anxiety attack once. And I had two miscarriages. I needed to make a change.
When I left that really good job after five years I went to work in the Real Estate industry. First I did mortgage loans part time so that I could spend more time at home. But, mortgage loans weren't really my thing. After about one year of working part time and struggling financially I decided that my break was over and my ambitious nature had come back. Then I went to work for a new home builder. I started working for that builder in 2004 right when the market was starting to take off like a rocket! We were selling 10 homes a month. We had a waiting list. The builder could not keep up with the demand.My partner and I were Sales Team in our district two years in a row. I am kind of embarrassed to say that in 2005, 2006 and 2007 I made over 6 figures each year. We bought a bigger house. Joel quit his job that he had been at for over 10 years. We invested in a couple of rental properties and Joel took care of them. I thought we were set. We had a lot of money in savings. Then we had our daughter Annabelle. I had went back to work after Annie was born. I still remember sitting in the bathroom of one of the models and using my breast pump. It would make me so sad that I wasn't with her. A few months later my mother was diagnosed with Breast Cancer. The market was starting to take a dip and I decided I better get out now, before things got really bad. I figured we had enough in savings to last a while and I wanted to spend time with my mom and my new baby girl. And this is where the back slide starts... to be continued....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#2-Korean Restaurant

This a blog about trying new things. Reaching beyond my comfort zone, exploring and making the most of life. My goal is to try 52 new things. One per week for a year. When I told my husband Joel that I was starting a blog about trying new things, the first suggestion he had was "you should try new types of food".  Of course... he would say that. I do not like trying new foods. Let me repeat that: I do not like trying new foods. Ask anyone who really knows me. I go to the same restaurants and eat the same things, over and over. My husband, on the other hand, will eat anything. No, really, I mean ANYTHING. He always says, "if I went on Survivor I would be the only contestant to gain weight". It has always mildly annoyed him that I am not more adventurous when it comes to food. Luckily, I have other positive traits that help him get over it. He suggested Korean and Indian. Our friends and family have been talking about a new Korean restaurant that recently opened.

#5 Body Wrap

This a blog about trying new things. Reaching beyond my comfort zone, exploring and making the most of life. My goal is to try 52 new things. One per week for a year. A few months ago I was at the gym. Upon entering there was a table with two young women sitting there promoting a spa package deal. I bought it, $60 for 5 different treatments including a "spot" body wrap. It also included a one hour message, facial and acupressure. My second trip to the spa I decided to do the body wrap. The only wrap I had heard about, besides the one you eat, was being wrapped up like a mummy then covered in cellophane wrap as you proceed to sit in a sauna a sweat off the pounds. That's called a compression wrap. I did not get one of those. What I got was a lot different. Vicky took me into a room with a massage table. She asked me where I would like the spot wrap done. I said "my muffin top, my stomach". She said, "that's what most ladies get done". She to

#8 Seattle-Part 3 (The Master at work, more eating and Lakeview cemetery)

This a blog about trying new things. Reaching beyond my comfort zone, exploring and making the most of life. My goal is to try 52 new things. One per week for a year. After our wonderful day at the market and the museum we went back to our hotel to rest. Our last night in Seattle we headed to a suburb called Northgate. Joel had made arrangements to give a seminar at MKG www. mkgseattle .com where Bahala Na Escrima has a growing and loyal following. So...for those of you who don't know yet, my husband Joel is also known as Master Joel Juanitas.  He is a Master in the Bahala Na Filipino Martial Arts Association www.bahalana.org that teaches Giron Escrima Arnis. Escrima is a Filipino weapon-based fighting system utilizing the stick, knife or improvised weapon. It is his passion and he trains students every week. He has been a practitioner since he was in high school. Only two blocks away from where Joel grew up lived an Escrima Grand Master, Leo Giron (our son's namesake). L