Skip to main content

DAY 25: Light at the end of the Tunnel

I am so glad we did this spending freeze and I can see the light at the end of the tunnel! One of my main goals, as I mentioned earlier this month, was to stop paying bank fees and late fees on our bills. The good news is I went from paying $187.50 in fees to the bank last month to $35 this month. I wish I could say it was zero but... Joel wanted to sign up for Amazon Prime, we agreed it was worth $80 for the year and there was a 30 day trial period. Well, I totally forgot that the 30 days were ending in February and our bank account would be automatically debited. So the money wasn't available when Amazon submitted the payment and we were charged an overdraft fee. I am still very proud of our progress. Plus I got caught up on a few bills that we were falling behind on. I also adjusted some monthly payment dates to a more convenient time for us to pay them eliminating late fees. 
What I am looking forward to is paying my car off this September. Then I plan on making bigger payments on our one and only credit card to pay that off too. Currently when I look at our monthly budget, our biggest bill is our rent but almost equal to that bill is money going to education. Not for me but for our kids and my husband. My husband went to Heald College and earned his AA. He took out student loans and we owe about $25,000. This is a touchy subject for me as I did not get involved when he was going through the loan/tuition process(my bad). My kids go to Catholic School which costs about $4000 per child per year. We were given a $1000 scholarship last year which helped lower our monthly payments down to $600 per month. In addition to the tuition we have to purchase uniforms with logos($20 shirts/$45 sweaters), a yearly registration fee, school building fund, there are 2 mandatory fundraisers that are $500 (if we don't raise the money from friends and family we are required to pay ourselves) and school supplies. They do not have reduced or free lunches. They offer a hot lunch for around $5. Which is why I pack their lunches everyday. This upcoming year Leo will be in 8th grade. It will be his final year there. He really wants to go our local Catholic High School. The tuition there is double what we pay now. Obviously we are going to have to evaluate which direction to go. When all is said and done and Leo graduates next year we will have paid $36,000 in tuition for grades K-8. Our daughter Annabelle is only in first grade this year. I am seriously looking at other options for her. We haven't made any final decisions but I am doing a lot of research and weighing the pros and cons. I am reassured to know that if we go in another direction for her education that she can still attend Catholic religious education for children at our church.
Obviously we have some big decisions to make in the near future. And we will have to do what is best for all of us, as a family.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#2-Korean Restaurant

This a blog about trying new things. Reaching beyond my comfort zone, exploring and making the most of life. My goal is to try 52 new things. One per week for a year. When I told my husband Joel that I was starting a blog about trying new things, the first suggestion he had was "you should try new types of food".  Of course... he would say that. I do not like trying new foods. Let me repeat that: I do not like trying new foods. Ask anyone who really knows me. I go to the same restaurants and eat the same things, over and over. My husband, on the other hand, will eat anything. No, really, I mean ANYTHING. He always says, "if I went on Survivor I would be the only contestant to gain weight". It has always mildly annoyed him that I am not more adventurous when it comes to food. Luckily, I have other positive traits that help him get over it. He suggested Korean and Indian. Our friends and family have been talking about a new Korean restaurant that recently opened.

#5 Body Wrap

This a blog about trying new things. Reaching beyond my comfort zone, exploring and making the most of life. My goal is to try 52 new things. One per week for a year. A few months ago I was at the gym. Upon entering there was a table with two young women sitting there promoting a spa package deal. I bought it, $60 for 5 different treatments including a "spot" body wrap. It also included a one hour message, facial and acupressure. My second trip to the spa I decided to do the body wrap. The only wrap I had heard about, besides the one you eat, was being wrapped up like a mummy then covered in cellophane wrap as you proceed to sit in a sauna a sweat off the pounds. That's called a compression wrap. I did not get one of those. What I got was a lot different. Vicky took me into a room with a massage table. She asked me where I would like the spot wrap done. I said "my muffin top, my stomach". She said, "that's what most ladies get done". She to

#13-Medifast: Part 2

Continued... After ordering my Medifast food and a few days before it arrived I ate all my favorite foods. Kind of a binge good-bye to my dear friends...til we meet again. I had spent the day before my food arrived researching and reading anything I could find about Medifast including opinions on the food taste. Of course, everyone had an opinion and they were all different. Which means just about everything was sounding bad. I received my box of Medifast food August 31st. I opened it up and looked at my months worth of meals. It also came with some literature for me to read. Most of the meals are in powdered packets. Oatmeal, pudding, soup, brownies, soft serve ice cream, eggs, pancakes, shakes. They also have bars, puffs and pretzels. Annie shouts "I want a granola bar!" I wave my hands over the pile of food now spread out on the table..."this is all for mommy, ok?" Then I proceed to give her an apple for a snack. Inside I start to panic just a little but wonder