Skip to main content

DAY 11: Money Saving Tips

Today I thought I would share some of the ways we have cut costs. I may have mentioned some of these before but they are worth review.

1) Stop using checks. I haven't ordered any in over a year. Once the kids school added debit/credit option, I stopped since they were the only ones I wrote checks to.

2) No fee checking account. Our account does not charge a fee because we direct deposit our paychecks.

3) Cancel any unused memberships. We cancelled our health club membership. That saved us $660 per year. We just weren't using it. There are plenty of free/cheap ways to stay healthy. At the very least there are new fitness clubs that you do not need to sign a contract that seem very reasonably priced.

4) Pack food before you go on a trip. This will save you a lot of money! Have you seen how much convenience stores charge? There is a reason they call it "highway robbery". Not to mention the cost of foods at the airport. They know you are desperate. It's especially important when you have kids. There is nothing worse than a being trapped in a car/airplane with a hungry, cranky kid...or adult for that matter.

5) My wonderful husband gave me a good tip: Reverse all the clothes hangers in your closet. As you use them put them back the correct way. After a year, whatever items are still backwards, you get rid of them because obviously you aren't wearing it! I plan on doing this soon, I think I will have less to clothes to remove than he will. ~lol~

6) Do holiday shopping right AFTER the holiday. I bought our Christmas tree and all decorations after Christmas. But this applies for all holidays and seasonal items as well. With Valentines Day coming up, I'll be keeping an eye out for discounted chocolate next week!

7) Pay off your car and keep it. Keep it as long as you can! When you buy a new car, even if you pay cash(which is very rare-kudos to those who do it), you will pay higher auto insurance and higher yearly license fees. Our truck is paid for. My car will be paid off this year! I am sooooo looking forward to that.

8) Eat breakfast. When you eat a healthy breakfast, you are less likely to over eat during the rest of the day. Make sure it includes protein. Your body takes longer to break down protein so you feel fuller longer.

9) Stop going to Starbucks. I know we have all heard this one before. But it's way cheaper to make your own coffee/tea at home. Especially now that there is the Keurig! At a previous job I worked, we had a Starbucks next door. I would go there at least every other day. And I don't drink coffee.

10) Use your crockpot! Besides being convenient because you don't have to worry about "what's for dinner?" It is a money saver. You can use cheaper cuts of meat and when they cook all day, they become tender, moist and flavorful! I have even made dessert in my crock pot. Chocolate Lava Cake. Yum!

I hope these tips help. These are just a few things that we have done to cut our expenses. I will continue posting more in the days ahead.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#2-Korean Restaurant

This a blog about trying new things. Reaching beyond my comfort zone, exploring and making the most of life. My goal is to try 52 new things. One per week for a year. When I told my husband Joel that I was starting a blog about trying new things, the first suggestion he had was "you should try new types of food".  Of course... he would say that. I do not like trying new foods. Let me repeat that: I do not like trying new foods. Ask anyone who really knows me. I go to the same restaurants and eat the same things, over and over. My husband, on the other hand, will eat anything. No, really, I mean ANYTHING. He always says, "if I went on Survivor I would be the only contestant to gain weight". It has always mildly annoyed him that I am not more adventurous when it comes to food. Luckily, I have other positive traits that help him get over it. He suggested Korean and Indian. Our friends and family have been talking about a new Korean restaurant that recently opened.

#5 Body Wrap

This a blog about trying new things. Reaching beyond my comfort zone, exploring and making the most of life. My goal is to try 52 new things. One per week for a year. A few months ago I was at the gym. Upon entering there was a table with two young women sitting there promoting a spa package deal. I bought it, $60 for 5 different treatments including a "spot" body wrap. It also included a one hour message, facial and acupressure. My second trip to the spa I decided to do the body wrap. The only wrap I had heard about, besides the one you eat, was being wrapped up like a mummy then covered in cellophane wrap as you proceed to sit in a sauna a sweat off the pounds. That's called a compression wrap. I did not get one of those. What I got was a lot different. Vicky took me into a room with a massage table. She asked me where I would like the spot wrap done. I said "my muffin top, my stomach". She said, "that's what most ladies get done". She to

#13-Medifast: Part 2

Continued... After ordering my Medifast food and a few days before it arrived I ate all my favorite foods. Kind of a binge good-bye to my dear friends...til we meet again. I had spent the day before my food arrived researching and reading anything I could find about Medifast including opinions on the food taste. Of course, everyone had an opinion and they were all different. Which means just about everything was sounding bad. I received my box of Medifast food August 31st. I opened it up and looked at my months worth of meals. It also came with some literature for me to read. Most of the meals are in powdered packets. Oatmeal, pudding, soup, brownies, soft serve ice cream, eggs, pancakes, shakes. They also have bars, puffs and pretzels. Annie shouts "I want a granola bar!" I wave my hands over the pile of food now spread out on the table..."this is all for mommy, ok?" Then I proceed to give her an apple for a snack. Inside I start to panic just a little but wonder